The Labor & Delivery Technician performs various clinical and technical functions in the Labor & Delivery Unit under the direction of the Registered Nurse. Responds to direction and assists the health care team in the care of antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum families.
Job duties specific to this position:
- Provides assistance with direct patient care through collaboration with other health care professionals and under the direction of a registered nurse.
- Performs skills and procedures specific to the scrub role proficiently in accordance with departmental competencies and procedures.
- Adheres to the principles of infection control in all aspects of the technician role.
- Cleans, stocks and re-stocks rooms with supplies, tools and instruments at the beginning of each shift and between patients, or as needed.
- Assembles, sets up and handles all surgical instruments in a safe manner.
- Routinely checks all wrapped instruments for integrity and sterility and returns those not meeting standard.
- Follows established protocol for the identification and repair of broken or malfunctioning instruments and specialty equipment.
- Promptly informs L&D Charge Nurse and/or MCH Manager or other designee of equipment requiring repair; maintenance or replacement.
- Cleans horizontal surfaces, floors and overhead lights in OR after each Cesarean Section.
- Cleans, stocks and organizes operating room shelves daily. Notifies appropriate person of shortages or problems.
- Cleans, disinfects and sets up instrument tables for vaginal deliveries and cesarean births.
- Assists team members preoperatively in the organization of the OR, supplies and equipment for each procedure assigned.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgical team on critical and emergency situations.
- Responds appropriately to critical and emergency situations as directed by the Registered Nurse, in a calm and efficient manner.
- Follows surgical sequence, passing the correct instruments at the correct time. Assists in patient positioning as directed by circulating nurse or physician.
- Utilizes and updates surgeons’ preference list in preparing for current case, and makes accurate updates as indicated. Ensures supplies and equipment are organized, set up, and ready.
- Performs correct instrument counts according to policy for sponges, needles, instruments, blades and syringes etc.
- Remains in the OR to assist the surgical team after the arrival of the patient.
- Assists OR team in transporting and transferring patients demonstrating safe procedures.
- Adheres to principles of sterile technique, and infection control in all aspects of the technician role according to policy and AORN standards.
- Selects and wears personal protective equipment appropriate to task.
- Follows policy and uses correct technique to perform surgical hand scrub (both brush and foam), gown and glove.
- Establishes and maintains a sterile field for all surgical procedures.
- Assists in maintenance of a Safe Anesthetic Environment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of aseptic technique, hemostatis and surgical sequence.
- Adheres to OR sterilization and disinfection policy for all instruments and specialty equipment. Adheres to OR policy for electrosurgical unit safety.
- Properly handles specimens intraoperatively and for transportation
- Demonstrates safe handling of infectious wastes (placenta) and contamination materials when handling and disposing of linen or trash according to policy.
- Properly handles and places instruments in decontamination carriers after use.
- Performs clerical and support tasks as required.
- Thoroughly completes and/or files documentation such as consent forms, records, labels, charts, identification badges, etc.
- Communicates special needs to ancillary departments i.e., admitting, discharge, housekeeping etc.
- Obtains information or supplies needed for special procedures as required.
- Delivers or transports equipment, supplies, specimens and requisitions.
- Books procedures.
- Uses computer or fax machine as directed.
- Assists with various patient care tasks as required.
- Completes unit checklists during each shift.
- Interacts and copes effectively with diverse populations in stressful situations resulting from trauma and illness.
- Participates in departmental performance improvement and training activities.
Job duties for all positions:
- Takes responsibility for ensuring that all work outcomes satisfy the HealthAlliance Three Pillars: Finance, Quality, and Service Excellence.
- The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of HealthAlliance Hospitals and serve as a role model for the CARES- It Happens Here customer service initiative.
- Demonstrates excellent attendance and actively participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required.
- Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to all internal and external customers.
- Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful feedback.
- Adheres to the HealthAlliance Hospital Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards and dress code.
- Complies with established environment of care/safety policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Maintains, and fosters, an organized, clean, safe work environment.
- Actively contributes to the development and application of process improvements.
- Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group’s achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient and employee populations. Supports and encourages diverse points of view, work and lifestyles.
- Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of surgical equipment and instrumentation function for labor and delivery and other cases performed within the unit.
- Knowledge of infection control, sterile and aseptic techniques, homeostasis and surgical sequence.
- Ability to perform detailed assignments with minimal supervision and work under pressure.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficient with MS Office and able to learn and operate computer applications.
- Ability to read, write and speak clearly in English.
High School Diploma required. Coursework in medical terminology a plus.
A minimum of 6 to 12 months experience as a surgical/scrub technician preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, ETC.:
Not required. Current certification as a Surgical Tech is helpful.
Please visit our online career center to apply! http://www.healthalliance.com