Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
: 450 Brookline AveJob Family
: AdministrationFull/Part Time
: RegularFLSA Status
: ExemptJob Summary
Located in Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow’s physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
Under limited supervision, the Administrative Support Specialist will provide specialized administrative support to the Adult Survivorship Program¿s Medical Director and provide general support for program staff and other faculty members.
The individual in this position will play a critical role in supporting the Medical Director of the Program. This position requires knowledge of Institute policies and practices and may be required to interface with senior management, cross-organizations, internal and external customers and government and community officials which requires considerable tact and diplomacy.
In addition to administrative support, this position will also support some aspects of patient scheduling in accordance with department scheduling guidelines. This position will provide superior customer service to all patients, family members, physicians and staff at all times in accordance with the DFCI Customer Service Standards.
- Responsible for light typing, basic document preparation, data entry, and may handle mass mailing projects.
- Responsible for scheduling meetings for individuals supported, including conference room scheduling.
- Coordinates travel arrangements for individuals supported.
- May assist with the on boarding of new staff members.
- Responsible for ordering of supplies and ensures equipment is maintained.
- Answers phones and directs calls to appropriate parties.
- Responsible for general office duties such as copying, filing, faxing, sorting mail, greeting visitors and maintaining the cleanliness of office area.
- Perform duties related to other special projects as required.
- Prepares general correspondence, letters of recommendations, creates Excel spreadsheets, revises existing PowerPoint presentations and maintains biosketches and CVs.
- Assists with grant applications and manuscript preparation (including proofreading and editing).
- May be Responsible for the planning and preparation of conferences/retreats, which includes booking the venue, coordination of speakers, arranging for audiovisual equipment and ordering of food services and may be involved in fundraising activities for the event. As part of event planning responsibilities, the maintenance of Continual Medical Education (CME) information renewals and awareness of conflicts of interest is required. May also be responsible for coordinating departmental group meetings.
- May be asked to be a representative in committees, cross-department responsibilities and/or task forces.
- May be responsible for website maintenance as needed.
- May coordinate moves, meetings assignments, equipment upkeep and timekeeping oversight
- Prepares monthly expense reports, performs Pcard reconciliations, processes requests for vendor payments and creates invoices.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
Clinical Support (Scheduling)
- Provides cross coverage of survivorship patient scheduling role when needed.
- Provides assistance with contacting patients regarding scheduling questions and appointment changes when needed.
- Bachelors degree preferred with a minimum of 2-5 years relevant experience working in a medical or scientific research setting or comparable technology-oriented business environment is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to draft correspondence and have exemplary oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledgeable of computer applications including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, and Excel.
- A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required and relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Must possessthe ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to organize, prioritize and follow-through.
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to interact professionally with peers, leadership and external contacts.
- Ability to identify resources within the Institute and exhibit a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Desire to be part of a team oriented environment.
40 hours per week