Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
: 44 Binney St, BostonJob Family
: AdministrationFull/Part Time
: RegularFLSA Status
: ExemptJob Summary
Located in Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow’s physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
The Division of Population Sciences/Department of Medical Oncology seeks an Administrative Support Specialist II to provide both programmatic and general administrative support to a senior level faculty member who specializes in cancer genetics, including risk and prevention.
This is an ideal opportunity for an enthusiastic and dynamic individual who seeks to support a highly productive and successful research group. The successful candidate should have the knowledge and capability to develop a functional and efficient operational infrastructure to support a busy research program. While the Administrative Specialist will be responsible for the day-to-day general administrative duties of the office including scheduling, travel arrangements, and phone coverage, s/he may also have the opportunity to learn about other aspects of the program, which will allow him/her to assist with the overall program.
- Serves as primary administrative contact and support for the faculty member and her group;
- Coordinates complex travel arrangements, including processing expense reports and tracking reimbursements;
- Plans and coordinates both internal and external meetings, including complex calendar management and meeting logistics;
- Coordinates seminars, programs and group meetings, including scheduling and material preparation;
- Facilitates communication and coordination across the group, thereby promoting a positive and collaborative work environment;
- Develops and maintains administrative systems to streamline functionality of the group;
- Ensures smooth integration of the research program by anticipating the needs/problems of the group and proactively implementing solutions;
- Maintains relationships and facilitates communication with key collaborators, including interfacing with faculty, scientists, and patients;
- Prepares documents, including grant applications, progress reports, CVs and correspondence;
- Provides telephone support, including triaging phone calls and responding appropriately to inquiries;
- Creates, formats and maintains Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations;
- Oversees purchasing and account management for project supplies, etc;
- Works very closely with administrative colleagues at this level within DFCI and throughout the community;
- May interact with patients both on the phone and in person;
- May participate in divisional-wide responsibilities.
- Bachelors degree required.
- 4-6 years experience in an office setting providing administrative support. Experience working in a medical, academic setting, scientific research setting, or comparable business environment is highly preferred.
- Good judgment, excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work on multiple assignments at one time.
- Demonstrated ability to draft reports, correspondence and other administrative documents as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to organize meetings and carry out complex scheduling.
- Ability to exercise critical thinking, problem-solving and conflict resolution; Ability to anticipate problems and identify possible solutions, including developing a plan and implementing solutions.
- Self-motivated, attentive to detail and flexible.
- Extensive expertise with Outlook, MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint.