Nantucket Cottage Hospital
This is a clinical nursing position assuming primary responsibility to the Swing Bed Program who possesses a mature, professional and responsive commitment to the Hospital’s nursing philosophy. This position requires proficiency in work performed and exists to support the care of Swing Bed Patients with the multidisciplinary team. Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- RN/LPN that assumes or coordinates primary care for Swing Bed Patients in collaboration with M/S Nurse Manager or Charge Nurse.
- Demonstrates proficiency in administering clinical treatments, procedures, and equipment.
- Demonstrates competency in the following areas by physical demonstration, verbal or written exam (medical equipment, age specific assessment and intervention, procedures such as medication administration, initiation of telemetry, etc.) as may be required in the performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Documents interventions/treatments and the patient’s response according to established policies and procedures. Further maintains current documentation in the medical record including but not limited to Nursing Plan of Care, Data Flow Sheet, and Progress Notes.
- Collects comprehensive data regarding patient’s condition, past medical history, allergies, medications, previous care, related laboratory studies, and imaging studies and develops a plan of care accordingly.
- Provides and reviews Swing Bed Admission Documents including: Swing Bed Patient Privacy Act Statement, Swing Bed Program Agreement, and Patient Bill of Rights.
- Communicates the Nursing Plan of Care to each Swing Bed Patient considering all multidisciplinary components.
- Assesses the patient’s educational needs and establishes a teaching plan upon admission.
- Maintains a safe and pleasant environment for the Swing Bed Patient.
- Coordinates scheduled Rehabilitation Sessions with multi-disciplinary team and Patient ensuring that the patient has a current Swing Bed Schedule daily. Assists in the communication of daily Rehab instructions to the rest of the Nursing Team.
- Develops and maintains a positive and professional relationship with consulting physicians and their staff, Hospital employees, family members, visitors, and community members as related to the Swing Bed Program.
- Coordinates efforts to meet the personal needs of Swing Patients including coordination of laundry service, recreational or therapeutic items, assistive devices, etc.
- Coordinates Recreational Plan with Occupational Therapist and assists in documentation of activities.
- Familiarity with Swing Bed Policies and Conditions of Participation.
- Responsible for completion or coordination and review of the Swing Patient MDS and data entry of same.
- Responsible for primary care of M/S patients when Swing Beds are empty.
- Assists with Performance Improvement Plan development, monitoring, and reporting.
- Assists in development and coordination of educational needs of Swing Bed Staff in collaboration with the Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS).
- Attends and participates in Swing Bed, M/S Committee meetings as well as Patient/Family Case Conferences as scheduled.
- May be required to float while census is low.
- All other duties assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position Ability to:§ § Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.§ Ability to use a telephone, fax, copier, and all other equipment associated with nursing practice.
§ Ability to stand/walk 90% of the shift, frequent pushing, climbing, bending, reaching, stooping, squatting and helping lift objects and patients ranging from five (5) to three hundred (300) pounds.§ Ability to use hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, smell, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job duties.§ Utilize face shields/mask, gloves, protective clothing, safety glasses (when applicable). Credentials and Experience Required § Minimum three years Medical/Surgical experience.§ Current licensensure in Massachusetts (RN or LPN).§ Current Certificate as a provider in BLS or certificate by the end of orientation.§ ACLS, PALS, and/or Neonatal Resuscitation within 1 year of position Special Requirements § Must be available to work day, evening and/or night shift as well as rotation on weekends as assigned. Must be able to rotate to units as assigned. § Must be willing to work additional shifts as assigned.§ Must be available to stay overnight should need arise during patient transports off island.§ May be exposed to the following hazards: temperature fluctuations, moderate noise levels, minimal dust, infectious diseases and other chemicals as customarily used in a hospital setting. Exposure to various hazards in handling patient transports.§ Must be available to work overtime as needed to complete all job duties.§ Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.