Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Partners HealthCare is an integrated health care system founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital. In addition to its two academic medical centers, the Partners system includes community and specialty hospitals, community health centers, a physician network, home health and long-term care services, and other health-related entities. Partners is one of the nation's leading biomedical research organizations and a principal teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School. Partners HealthCare is a not-profit organization. We have opportunities in Finance, Information Systems, Human Resources, and many other areas that work behind the scenes in support of the Partners mission.
Under the direction of the DFCI Corporate Manager of Clinical Systems, the incumbent is responsible for daily operations of the DFCI clinical systems platform for Radiation Oncology. This person supervises 5+ clinical IS staff and is responsible for information systems development/selection, implementation, maintenance, enhancement and/or replacement for DF/BW Radiation Oncology department, including all satellite locations.
Oversight of clinical systems operations includes preparation for planned and unplanned downtime, on-call coverage and improvement of communication to clinical areas. System development & implementation encompasses activities of design, testing, training and support. The team leader will be accountable as the IS liaison to a range of ancillary departments, insuring the technical appropriateness and reliability of applications selected. The team leader is expected to learn the operational workflows of the supported departments; and work with their team to provide appropriate IT support based on a solid understanding of the patient and staff experience.
The team leader is also responsible for the operating and capital budgets associated with assigned projects, systems and responsibilities. S/He is also responsible for overseeing many activities that impact the safety and reliability of the DFCI clinical systems.
The Team Leader I will have a primary focus around specific end user/group audiences or functions, while actively contributing to the forming and delivering of the overall DFCI and Partners systems vision.
For Radiation Oncology the Team Leader is involved in the daily operations of the Department. The Department relies heavily upon IS and therefore the Team Leader participates in many operational and quality assurance meetings. The Team Leader plays a key leadership role in the Department and is relied upon for input to strategic planning decisions. The Team Leader has an indirect reporting relationship to the Executive Director of the Radiation Oncology Department.
1. Works with management and staff to determine appropriate IT solutions to complex business issues, including identifying opportunities to improve operations through the use of new or different technology.
2. Works with Radiation Oncology department management on prioritization and coordination of projects and resources. Designs resource management plans to ensure adequate staffing for projects and support.
3. Serves as liaison between End-Users in the departments he/she is responsible, user communities and Partners IS, as needed insuring the proper planning, communication and coordination of all efforts.
4. Manages the development/selection, implementation, enhancement, support and maintenance of all Radiation Oncology systems within/for assigned focus audience, site, or functions. Adheres to project management methodologies and assists in the overall Partners IS utilization of these methodologies.
5. Manages and as needed, initiates, the successful coordination of all systems delivery activities with other Partners IS departments and consultants, such as, Network Services & Telecommunications, Network Operations, Application Development, in relation to DFCI efforts as well as ancillary systems agenda, as requested by the site’s Executive Administration.
6. Develop and manage group and project operational and capital budgets with finesse. Insures that proposed budgets effectively represent fiscal needs of projects and the overall Partners Healthcare Systems goals. Monitors budget throughout the fiscal year, keeping projects on time and on budget, proposing innovative solutions to address budget issues as needed.
6. Directs staff and maintains a stable work environment.
7. Promotes and encourages staff to provide high quality customer service, recognizing both IS and administrative communities as equal and valued customers. Functions as a role model for customer service for the DFCI information systems group.
8. Works with direct reports, IS department management and Human Resources staff to ensure that all of their staff are being appropriately informed, supported, trained, guided and evaluated. Works to develop staff for project/team leadership roles. Constantly reassesses the allocation of staffing resources to meet the changing needs of the staff as well as that of DFCI.
9. Evaluates overall employee performance, doing annual performance reviews of direct reports in a timely and thorough manner and performs all other functions which constitute proper supervision of staff under his/her direction.
10. All other duties as assigned.
1. Strong knowledge and understanding of administrative systems and operations, specific to the focus of the assigned area, site or function(s).
2. Ability to manage multiple levels of staff and projects in both a direct and matrix reporting environment.
3. Experience with related software application project implementations inclusive of design and development and/or selection, software testing, user training, go live and ongoing 24 x 7 support of users and the application, and management of enhancements and upgrades.
4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with all levels of organization, most notably with high senior level executives.
5. Demonstrated excellence in navigating very complex community/political landscapes and understanding the influence of the market/industry position on individual sites as well as the whole of the Partners Healthcare System and it’s impact over areas of responsibility.
6. Strong professional and proficient persona.
7. Expertise in achieving consensus in highly charged arenas.
8. Excellent record of successfully solving complex problems across diverse departments and domains both internal and external to IS.
9. Commitment to delivery of high quality customer service.
10.Ability to manage and motivate in a highly complex and changing environment.
· Standard office environment with regular travel to DF/BW Radiation Oncology locations and PHS building.
· 24X7 responsibilities requiring on call and evening, night, weekend hours as needed.
· Approximately 5-10 FTEs and consultants or other temporary staff as needed.
· Oversee DFCI Clinical Systems staff in absence of DFCI Corporate Manager of Clinical Systems, as needed.