Berkshire Medical Center is the region's leading provider of comprehensive healthcare services. With award-winning programs, nationally-recognized physicians, world-class technology and a sincere commitment to the community, BMC is delivering the kind of advanced healthcare most commonly found in large metropolitan centers.
A private, not-for-profit organization, Berkshire Health Systems serves the region through a network of affiliates which include Berkshire Medical Center, the BMC Hillcrest Campus, Fairview Hospital, Berkshire Visiting Nurse Association, and long-term care associate Berkshire Healthcare Systems. Each of these facilities2 is distinguished by the high quality of their programs and services, and by the credentials, skill and compassion of their physicians, nurses and caregivers.
- 2007: Berkshire Medical Center's Women's Imaging Center - Breast Imaging Center of Excellence from the American College of Radiology's Commission on Quality and Safety and the Commission on Breast Imaging. Awarded only to centers that have achieved accreditation by the ACR in stereotactic breast biopsy, breast ultrasound, ultrasound-guided biopsy and mammography.
Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery
Cardiac Rehabilitation/Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- 2008: American Heart Association Award for Collaborative Efforts.
BMC was presented this honor by the AHA for its collaborative work with MassPRO on Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia and the hospital's Surgical Care Improvement Project.
- 2008: American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines 2008 Mentorship Award.
Presented to BMC for promoting a multidisciplinary approach to quality improvement, demonstrating leadership and effectiveness in quality system implementation, exhibiting a willingness to promote and share the principles of Get with the Guidelines with other healthcare teams and organizations.
- 2008: American Heart Association Regional Outstanding Physician Leader - Dr. Gray Ellrodt, Chairman of Medicine, BMC. Presented to Dr. Gray Ellrodt for his dedication to quality improvement initiatives, active involvement in implementation of the hospital's related quality improvement initiatives, promotion of vascular science, leadership and active involvement in community activities and dynamic participation in advocacy efforts as related to heart disease and stroke.
- 2001 - 2008: BMC - American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Coronary Artery Disease Performance Achievement Award. BMC is the only hospital in the nation to be honored seven years consecutively, while only BMC and UCLA Medical Center received this award from 2001 to 2005.
- 2005 - 2008: BMC - American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Sustained Performance Achievement Award for Heart Failure. For care of patients with congestive heart failure. BMC was the first and only hospital in the nation to receive the Initial Performance Achievement honor in 2005 and in 2007 won its second straight Sustained Performance Achievement award, now totaling three honors in a row for Heart Failure.
- 2006 - 2008: Fairview Hospital - American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Coronary Artery Disease Performance Achievement Award. Fairview achieved Gold Level honors recently for the treatment of patients with coronary artery disease, and now has three awards.
- 2006: BMC - Mass Pro Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration Project Award: For outstanding quality performance in the care of heart attack and heart failure patients. One of only three hospitals in Massachusetts to receive the honor.
- 2004: Fairview - MassPro Award for Heart Attack Care: For outstanding achievement and commitment to quality improvement for heart attack care.
Berkshire Area Health Education Center Annual Achievement Award - Berkshire AHEC, at its annual meeting, presented Berkshire Health Systems President David Phelps with this honor, recognizing his leadership in innovative nursing and other clinical education programs
Berkshire Community College 2008 President's Award - Berkshire Community College President Dr. Paul Raverta presented the annual BCC President's Award to BHS President David Phelps for his leadership in nursing education programs in collaboration with BCC aimed at addressing the national nursing shortage
2003: BHS - Advance Magazine's Laboratory of the Year Award, 2nd Place -
Department of Pathology and Clinical Laboratories recognized by national publication aimed at medical lab professionals.
Neurosciences and Behavioral Health
- 2005 - 2008: BMC - American Stroke Association Get with the Guidelines Performance Achievement Award. For the treatment of stroke patients. Only hospital in the nation to achieve the honor for four consecutive years.
- 2007: Dr. Leslie Fishbein, BMC Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science honored with the American Psychiatric Association Nancy Roeske Certificate of Excellence, recognizing her for excellence in medical education.
- 2007: BMC and Fairview Hospital - Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare Hospital Honor Roll, in recognition of top 25% performance in national quality rankings as reported by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid on Hospital Compare and Leapfrog patient safety measures.
- 2007: BMC - Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration (HQID) program from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid and Premier. BMC was ranked in the top 10% of reporting hospitals nationally for treatment of patients with pneumonia and AMI.
- 2003: BMC -Massachusetts Leapfrog Regional Rollout Group Recognition for Patient Safety: One of eight Massachusetts hospitals recognized for significant progress in implementing patient safety practices.
Sleep Disorders Center at BMC
2008: American Academy of Sleep Medicine Accreditation.
BMC's Sleep Disorders Center was awarded a 5-year accreditation by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine in October 2008, which, according to the AASM means the Center demonstrates that it meets the highest standards of quality patient care.
2007: BMC - American College of Surgeons
reverifies Berkshire Medical Center's Trauma Center as a Level II Trauma Center. Initially verified in 2005, this reverification demonstrates the hospital's ability to commit its resources to provide rapid and optimal care for seriously injured patients.
- 2007: Berkshire Medical Center's Travel Medicine Clinic is named as Top US Travel Health Specialist in Conde Naste Traveler Magazine, one of only 31 programs recognized nationally.
Berkshire Health Systems is fortunate to serve not only a diverse population, but to be located in the midst of the spectacular natural beauty that is the Berkshire Hills of Western Massachusetts. Berkshire County is home to some of the most scenic vistas in the Northeast, including the state's highest peak, Mt. Greylock. Our area also features such world renowned cultural attractions as Tanglewood , the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival , the Berkshire and Williamstown Theatre Festivals, Barrington Stage and Shakespeare & Company , among others, which draw the world to our doorstep. We are the home to exceptional centers of higher education and feature a business community that ranges from global plastics businesses and General Dynamics to the biggest names in retail, outstanding restaurants, and much more.
Berkshire Medical Center has a wide range of excellent employee benefits including the following:
Short-Term Disability Insurance
Long-Term Disability Insurance
Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
Supplemental Life and AD&D Insurance
Spouse Life Insurance
Child Life Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Time Off
403(b) Pension Plan
Employee Wellness Program
Click on the links found on this page to find out more about living and working in the Berkshires.
Berkshire Visitors Bureau
Berkshire Chamber of Commerce
Lee Chamber of Commerce
Southern Berkshire Chamber of Commerce
Stockbridge Chamber of Commerce
Williamstown Chamber of Commerce