New England Baptist Hospital
Medical Technologist, Full Time
Location: Boston, MA
Department: Laboratory - 700700
Position Type: Regular
Shift: Evening Shift
Hours Per Week: Full time 40 hours per week
Precisely and accurately performs and evaluates variety of technical procedures. Utilizes accepted quality control techniques with the aid of different methodologies. Performs diagnostic procedures in all laboratory sections as needed.
1. Is able to work in the following sections of the laboratory: Blood Bank, Chemistry, Hematology and planting.
2. Is able to perform all Blood Bank procedures required for the safe issuing of blood. This will include performing cross matches, perform type and screens (tube and solid phase methodology), issuing units, performing antibody panels, DAT workups.
3. P erforms and results all automated and manual Chemistry and Hematology procedures, including the ability to troubleshoot Chemistry and Hematology instruments. Is able to perform coagulation studies and CBCs with differentials. Is able to perform body fluid analysis, including crystals, cell counts and differentials.
4. Performs all aspects of Microbiology planting and processing of send-out tests.
5. Organizational skills: Organizes work during heavy workloads being able to multi-task to expedite patient care.
6. Communication skills: Notes critical results, calling results in the proper time frame. Maintains open communication with physicians, nursing staff and co-workers. Consults with supervisor if needed to resolve technical problems that may arise
7. Maintains all appropriate competencies and continuing education requirements. Assists with teaching the students and orienting new employees.
8. Performs all quality control and participates in quality assurance monitors. Assists the supervisor with reviewing of policies and procedures as necessary.
MT(ASCP) certification required (or eligible)